Tuesday, April 5, 2011

New Antlers song / Lightning Bolt

So, I heard the new Antlers song on Pitchfork (haters gonna hate).  I am not sure what to think.  I am totally aware that the Antlers can't just keep making the same album over and over again, and slowly getting worse at it, so it is not like I was expecting it to sound like a B-Side of Hospice.  Hospice has a very unique sound, and it is so conceptually driven, that I don't even think the Antlers could make a "sequel".  I am sure Silberman does not have it in him emotionally to write a sequel.

Anyway, regarding my opinion.  I could criticize the hell out of this song if I wanted.  I could say it does not have an identity, and relies too much on tried and true emotionalist methods.  Crescendos?  Check.  Falsetto? Check.  Mesmerizing drum loops?  Check.  Overall, I could say it reminds me of a a throwaway track by Radiohead in the Amnesiac era.

But, if I said any of that, I would obviously just be bitter that the song did not speak to me the same way Hospice did the first time I listened to it.  All of those aforementioned thoughts did run through my mind, but deep down, I actually really like the track.  I cannot contrast an entire album with one track, and for all I know, Burst Apart could have just as much of an impact on me as Hospice.  It does in fact sound like an Antlers song while simultaneously sounding nothing like a Hospice song, which is really all I can ask for from an album that is following up something so critically acclaimed.

In other news, I have been listening to a heck of a lot of noise rock lately.  Mostly HEALTH and Lightning Bolt.  Where the hell has Lightning Bolt been all of my life?  I feel so glib having never listened to Wonderful Rainbow before, despite all of the critical acclaim.  Tomorrow on my radio show "Charlie Sheen", I will play a HEALTH song, and the next Wednesday I will play some Lightning Bolt, assuming a bunch of other stuff does not hurl itself at me.  I feel like HEALTH is more entry level, and I am trying to not scare away potential listeners by playing "BUMPshheeuhtlkTHKTHKBUMPzshzhsk" completely out of the blue.  I want to slowly guide listeners to the potential beauty in noise, and not just hurl it at them. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment