Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Music News - LCD Soundsystem, Panda Bear, OFWGKTA and more!

LCD Soundsystem releases a new mp3!



James Murphy is confirmed for the Brett Favre of music!  As if we didn't already know from this and this.  Seriously though, how are you just going to have your farewell show and then immediately come back?  It is clearly a publicity stunt, because Jim didn't even give himself enough time to see what it is like being retired.  I hope this backfires on him, because I don't know about you guys, but I don't like being toyed with.

Panda Bear releases "Tomboy"!




Panda Bear released Tomboy and I think it is pretty dang good.  I don't think anyone expected it to live up to Person Pitch or Merriweather Post Pavilion, including myself.  But if you disregard the blogosphere hype machine, it is actually a really decent album.  I can't say it is as good as Person Pitch or MPP, but it exists on a different realm than those albums so it is perfectly excusable.  I have only listened to Tomboy twice now, but it didn't speak to me the same way that even Avey Tare's Down There did.  But I loved Down There and everyone else are just haterz.  Maybe it will grow on me though.

Anyway, the blogosphere is having an Existential crisis with Animal Collective right now.  They do not know whether to embrace them, because they are still making decent albums, or to move along to newer and more soindiewtf things.
Overall, as long as Animal Collective are making good albums, I don't care about indie cred.  Although, I can't help but be a little worried that they are releasing albums at a pretty quick rate.  That hasn't proved to be much of a problem, just something in the back of my mind.

OFWGKTA announces tour!


Unfortunately, it is on the East Coast only.  I am convinced that Portland is probably one of the last cities they will visit.  OFWGKTA has tried to distance themselves from their fans that will probably make up a majority of the turnout here.

And finally, my mentor for a class was in a sledding competition this weekend.  Here's the video:


No one really got hurt, but my mentor Mark said someone bruised their coccyx.  Oh well.  They won, because most people didn't even make it to the end, let alone jump over the pile of snow that is meant to stop people.

No comments:

Post a Comment